Neptune Technologies & Bioressources
TSX: NTB - NASDAQ: NEPT
Basic Shares: 60.0 million
Fully diluted: 67.5 million
This morning at 8am (PT) Dr. Harlan Waksal delivered a 27 minute presentation on Neptune at the 25th annual Roth Conference in California. This was the first time Neptune has presented at an investor conference since the plant explosion on November 8th, 2012.
Topics touched on in the presentation include:
- In reference to today’s news release on preliminary clinical data for CaPre, Dr. Waksal noted that the company is “very pleased” with the fact that it saw an approximate 25% decrease in triglycerides for people with a cholesterol level of 200-500mg/dl after only 4 weeks at using a 4g dose. “Normally you see your peak decrease in triglycerides after 12 weeks. It’s extremely encouraging.” He expects complete data from the open label study to be released by June and data from the double blind around the end of the second quarter.
- Focused on the reconstruction of the operational production facility with full production expected during Q1/2014, maintaining key customer relations and “soon” will finalize an outsourcing arrangement.
- Omega-3 retail market is $13 billion. Expected to reach $18 billion in 2016.
- Krill oil contains phospholipid omega-3’s, which is easier to absorb than fish oil omega-3’s. At least 2-3times better than fish oil.
- Krill is the fastest growing product in the omega-3 space.
- Nutriceutical Neptune krill oil is sold around the world and in major US retailers: GNC, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid.
- Acasti is focused on the pharmaceutical applications for cardiovascular disease.
- Rigorously defending Intellectual Property, which covers any and all phospholipid omega-3’s that are currently in the marketplace.
We note that today’s market activity clearly indicates that people are trying to understand the very preliminary data that was released prior to Dr. Waksal’s presentation. Acasti stock fell from around $2.50 to $2.00 and recovered to the $2.20 range as of this writing. Trading on both sides of the border was heavy with combined volume of approximately half a million shares changing hands. Acasti average daily volumes are normally much smaller.
The key data points will be known over the next few months.